The Des Moines Symphony continues its 2017-2018 80th Season with Beethoven 7: Apotheosis of the Dance at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, March 24, and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, March 25 at the Des Moines Civic Center (221 Walnut St., Des Moines).
From beginning to end, it is among the most beloved symphonies ever written. Wagner called Beethoven’s celebratory Seventh Symphony “the apotheosis of the dance.” Experience its sheer joy and rhythmic energy as the Des Moines Symphony continues its 80th Season, ‘Music in Motion.’ But first, experience the world premiere of BRIO for Orchestra by Augusta Read Thomas; then, pianist and host of NPR’s ‘From the Top’ Christopher O’Riley returns to Des Moines for a bravura performance of Beethoven’s First Piano Concerto. The vigor and grandeur of Beethoven’s spirited composition will uplift and inspire.
The Des Moines Symphony’s 81st Season will be announced at the March 24 and 25 concerts. Maestro Joseph Giunta will reveal the music and guest artists of the Symphony’s 2018-2019 Season from the stage; patrons are welcome to renew or subscribe while attending the weekend’s concerts.
Single tickets are $15-$65 and are available online through dmsymphony.org (up until two hours prior to performances) and at the Civic Center Ticket Office (515.246.2300, 221 Walnut Street, Des Moines; open 9AM-5PM Monday through Friday and two hours prior to performances). Please note single ticket prices are subject to a $5 increase on the day of the concert, excluding student rush tickets.
Student tickets are $7.50-$32.50 and are available through the Civic Center Ticket Office with valid student ID. Student rush tickets, subject to availability, are $5 for junior high and high school students and $10 for all other students the day of the concert through the Civic Center Ticket Office. Tickets will be available at the door.
2017-2018 Masterworks concerts, 7:30 p.m. Saturdays & 2:30 p.m. Sundays at the Des Moines Civic Center (221 Walnut Street, Des Moines IA, 50309). For complete program details, please use the links below:
- Sep 23 & 24: Masterworks 1: Season Debut – Invitation to the Dance
- Oct 21 & 22: Masterworks 2: Tchaikovky’s Swan Lake
- Nov 19 & 20: Masterworks 3: Ritual Fire Dance
- Feb 10 & 11: Masterworks 4: Stravinsky’s Petrouchka
- March 24 & 25: Masterworks 5: Beethoven 7 – Apotheosis of the Dance
- Apr 28 & 29: Masterworks 6: Beyond the Score – Elgar’s Enigma Variations
- May 19 & 20: Masterworks 7: Season Finale – Rhapsody in Blue
2017-2018 Pops concerts at the Des Moines Civic Center (221 Walnut Street, Des Moines IA, 50309):
- Sat Nov 11: Windborne’s The Music of Queen
- Sun Dec 31: New Year’s Eve Pops: The Classic Hits of Motown
- Sat May 12: Leslie Odom, Jr. in Concert in Collaboration with Des Moines Performing Arts